Saturday 18 November 2006

Estate of the Nation

Tareq's got a major problem. His parents want to move to be closer to Tareq's uncle's big new shop, so they can help out with it. So far, so OK but, here’s the kicker, the shop's in Piers Road. You know what I’m saying right? Eastburgh estate. And Tareq's folks want to move onto the estate.

Total insania, right? I mean, like these people have eyes right? How do they not see the graffiti around there? It doesn’t take a genius to know that anyone who's not like local aint welcome – I’m not even sure it’s friendly if you've lived there forever. But Tareq's folks are all like, "The property prices are very reasonable" and "This country is our home too" and "We don't know anyone on the estate who's had a bad time." Yeah – that’s ‘cos they don't know anyone on the estate at all!

Tareq's tried to persuade them that it's a totally duff idea, but they're not listening – he’s a teenager so like, duh. So he's asked me to help him. Another teenager. Strength in numbers maybe – I dunno. We need to prove that if the family moves to the Eastburgh estate it'll be all broken glass and tears and some very bogus stuff going down. We need a plan – I’m all out of plans. I think Tareq's got some idea from the way he's been scribbling in his notebook, and knowing Tareq it's going to be a bit mad, and someone will be sorry, and it'll probably be me. But I'll go along with it because what are friends for, right?