Monday 8 January 2007

Staying!

I've had worse weekends, I suppose.

The family sat me down for the whole what's going-down-this-year talk on Sunday and so the well-good (not) plan of sending me to Bangladesh came up again. I totally knew it would, and Julie and me had come up with a plan of our own. I hit them with:

1. If they pack me off to Bangladesh, who's going to look out for my kid sister and my younger cousins at school?
2. To show I can be a totally good Muslim in Britain I promised to spend more time at the mosque and more time doing stuff in our community (Like I'll get a part-time job or something).
3. And I won't go out with girls from outside the family-approved community either (cos what Julie and I are doing totally isn't dating, right? I mean like we hardly ever see each other, because she's in Coventry.)

There was a major lot of talk, but by the end the big Bangladesh plan was on hold again, which is completely wicked. Nadia did mega backup too: she's been having a pretty duff time in her class and having a big bro around means the bullies don't hassle her so much.

I think it's all come up because my family were really freaked out by the whole Tareq thing just before Eid, and they don't want me doing the same thing. So like they totally didn't say I can't see him ever but they made it so clear they don't want me hanging out with him so much. But like he's my oldest mate init? I can't just dump him.

Mind you I've not actually had real communications with Tareq since last Wednesday when he was going a bit mad about everything. That's so like him, when trouble hits he just like totally shuts down and turns it off - makes his own space away from his friends and tries to sort things out on his own. I guess he reckons that his friends might be on at him not to be such a loser or not to do anything mental. I totally hope he hasn't done anything mental this time.